Wednesday, August 18, 2004

The Da Vinci code

I read "The Da Vinci Code" in a couple of days. I thought it was an entertaining and well written thriller for beach reading. Then all of a sudden it was on the cover of Newsweek, etc. and all over TV. People talking about how it changed their lives and taught them a lot they didn't know about Catholicism, Jesus, and the Renaissance. First off, what kind of people get their lives changed by a book they read in an airport? Second, IT'S FICTION! YOU'RE NOT LEARNING SHIT!
Yes, the Catholic Church, Harvard, and even Opus Dei exist. So what? Is "Casablanca" true because WWII happened?
One interviewee in some damn magazine (I forget which one) said something along the lines of "I think the book is great. The only information I had about Mary Magdalene and the Holy Grail was from pop culture before I read this book."
That's so fucking stupid I can't even say any more about it or my head will explode.
OK, I will. The only information I had about the Holy Grail was from pop culture before I saw "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade". Hey, there were Nazis so it must be true.
I think I'll write my thesis on the Ark of the Covenant. Thank God for George Lucas.

BOOM!

Here's a long article on the Da Vinci Code from some College-type Guy on some of the art in this book. I love the term "Art History Lite".

http://www.tnr.com/doc.mhtml?pt=WFwOR/YBdZvtyUzIsWqCtw====

6 Comments:

At 4:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did not feel like registering so here I am anonymously.

I just finished Angels and Demons - an interesting thriller, nothing more. Robert Langdon. Is this guy the epitome of everything everyone hates about academics or what? First off, if I heard one more word about his Harris tweed sport coat I think I might have vomitted. Gems such as "I was thankful for the standard double lining of all Harris tweed." I am sure that is what someone running to save their life or someone else's would think about. No really, I mean, if you are going to perpetually take the time to marvel at the works of art surrounding your impending death, why not think about your tweed? Perpetually throughout the book, in moments of immense crisis, the art historian in Robert Langdon simply must stop to marvel that the action is occurring right under *insert art history lite lesson here*. Don't even get me started on the random digressions into stupid art history or basic physics lessons disguised as what? plot? I don't know. Most hated academic bit - his recollection of a lecture at Harvard where he describes himself walking in front of the room, casually eating an apple while calling on sleeping students. Why - he is the world's leading symbologist!

 
At 4:14 PM, Blogger The Head said...

Well put. Langdon really thinks a lot of himself. I bet he's a joy to have dinner with. One-sided conversations full of pregnant pauses where he stops talking to let the profoundness of his comments sink in.

 
At 8:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the evil doctor can't remember his password.
why does the following question and answer sound like they were written by the same person?

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger The Head said...

What question?

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger The Head said...

Ceiling effect on brilliance I guess.

 
At 1:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

whoa, can evil doctor see into the future?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home