Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Movies in general

People somewhere along the way forgot that movies and TV were supposed to be for ENTERTAINMENT! It's escapism. It's not supposed to be your life. I don't want to watch a young man coming of age while dealing with his relationship, dysfunctional family, and dope fiend brother. I ALREADY FUCKING DID THAT! IN REAL LIFE! WHY THE FUCK WOULD I WANT TO WATCH IT ON A SCREEN? I can't understand it. Hey, here's two hours of a couple trying to figure out how to make ends meet after the husband got laid off and is drinking too much. Hey, here's two-and-a-half hours of a family dealing with the death of a loved one. Hey here's three hours of a man going through a midlife crisis (not there yet, give me a couple more years).
WTF? Are people so hungry for horrible, depressing shit that they need to take time out of their depressing, shitty lives to go pay money that they earned working in their depressing, shitty jobs to watch actors portray fictional depressed people in fictional shitty lives (presumably with fictional, depressing, shitty jobs)?
I do not understand it. Go watch Indiana Jones, Big Trouble in Little China, John Woo movies, Empire Strikes Back, Lord of the Rings, Casablanca, muthafuckin' Die Hard. Shit you do NOT experience regularly.

But Troy still sucked. Don't watch that.

Side note:
OK. I used to be the lowest common denominator when it came to entertainment. I'd watch anything. But now, I'm sad to say, I'm not (I can't stand reality shows) but still, I'm pretty lame. So when I say there's something watchable on TV that could actually mean nothing's on that anyone else would want to watch. But when I say nothing's on then really, REALLY nothing's on.
That mini-rant courtesy of this weekend. The Ash-hole and I were watching TV. I said nothing was on and he still checked the damn guide. We ended up watching Jaws 3.
Also, when we were going to Blockbuster he actually said "My brains not working so let's not get a thinking movie." or something similar. Who the fuck do you think your talking to? I watched the Science Fiction Channel original movie "Webs" with Richard Grieco one night at 2am for Christ's sake! (It did suck ass however). I don't think we're gonna be getting Gosford Park (which also sucked but at least Webs was shorter).

2 Comments:

At 12:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I assume you were thinking of movies like Lost in Translation. I came up a quick list of good movies about ordinary people and their fucked-up lives:

AMERICAN BEAUTY
BIG CHILL, THE
CITY OF HOPE
GRAND CANYON
HUSBANDS AND WIVES
LAST PICTURE SHOW, THE
MANHATTAN
REMAINS OF THE DAY
ZARDOZ

Just kiddin' about that last one.

EvDr.

 
At 3:50 PM, Blogger The Head said...

I imagine your life being very similar to Zardoz.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home