Monday, September 19, 2005

Fuck David Sedaris

I really can't stand this fucking guy.
"Hey! Look at me! I make super witty observations about life! And I have the most annoying voice ever! Complete douchebags like me because supposedly I'm 'smart' humor!"
If I never hear anything by him again I'll die happy.
Once we were at a party and the host decided to have everyone stop having fun so we could listen to some David Sedaris.
The whole time I'm sitting there thinking "That's the fucking punchline?" and "Good Lord I'd like to take a tire iron to this guy."

Then I was talking to Kid Awesome the other day about his class that he teaches (Freshman Composition) and he was saying that you need to assign books, essays, or films for the students to write shit on. Some of the other TA's (some as in 'more than one') give their students David Sedaris and can't seem to understand why their students don't like him because "Oh my God, he's just hilarious!"
18 year old kids in Idaho probably find his wry commentary on life in the city even less funny than I do (if that's possible).
What a jerkoff.
So...Fuck David Sedaris.

Yeah I know, the others in the series had better background.

P.S. I jsut saw one of the fattest people I've ever seen down outside the coffeeshop in our building. I mean, I was amazed this person is ambulatory.

7 Comments:

At 2:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's not a party until someone tells a fart joke.

 
At 2:25 AM, Blogger Joshua said...

Homophobes.

 
At 2:04 PM, Blogger The Head said...

Seriously Joshua, I would have never pegged you as a Sedaris fan.

 
At 3:27 AM, Blogger Joshua said...

David Sedaris, eschewing the fart jokes, actually has a keenly edged wit, something lacking from anything passing as "funny" these days (including both our blogs, my friend.) Yeah, he can be a bit much, and the authenticity of his stories is sometimes dubious, but at least he's interested in the very weirdest parts of our lives and not in the boringest (a la NPR's assface-in-chief Garrison Keillor.) I mean, listening to it at a party? You need better friends. But that doesn't mean he isn't funny. Don't blame him for his fans.

But really, the biggest talent in tht family is my beloved Amy Sedaris.

"I woke up with blood on my ass and then we got high!"

PS: you're still a homophobe.

 
At 6:28 PM, Blogger Joshua said...

"working hard on your material" is usually considered, ummmm, a good thing, right?

I mean you love it when I work hard on your material!

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger The Head said...

Yeah, but it shouldn't sound like you worked hard on it. It should sound like it's effortless.
It always turned me off when I read about comedians (although would Sedaris be considered a "Humorist?") thinking of the craft, what is the nature of humor, etc.
Stan Laurel comes to mind in that regard.
Now, for example, the Marx Bros. on the other hand didn't seem to work on that. That's just the way they were is the impression. That makes them funnier to me.

 
At 11:36 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Okay, now we're drawing battle lines -- has Head ever tried reading a Sedaris book, article, short story, fart joke? I can certainly see his personality turning people off but saying he's trying to be Seinfeld is a bit fucked up. He's a writer who does his own book on tapes shit -- but if anyone finds them funny it's because they've read the books. And whether or not you ike NPR -- This American Life is a gift.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home