Thursday, March 24, 2005

Boners

Boners.
Bo-ners!
BOOOOOOOOONNNNNNEEEEEERRRRSSSS.
Hilarious word.

A good friend of ours recently left grad school. He was a smart guy, etc. but just was sick of the bullshit. And there's a ton of bullshit in science. See many scientists are basically nerds that now have power. Lady Head has talked about this on her blog. They have Bigman Syndrome. They lack social skills, managerial skills, etc. and to get where they are they've given up any life outside of the field. So some harbor resentment and some just are petty assholes in general. Of course they want you to work a billion hours a week and give up your youth because "You love science." (I'm pretty sure I posted on this topic previously)
Where was I? Oh yes, our friend Jeff. See, after he left (he's now our financial advisor at Edward Jones) I was at a soiree at the Owl's and Jeff's former advisor was there. And he was saying Jeff was smart and all but the upshot was "He wasn't cut out for this.", etc.
For some reason, the very thought of these Bigmen smugly (and sweet baby Jesus are they smug) saying that about me fills me with a white-hot rage. If I ever quit science I would have to kill them all.
That thought is enough to keep me plugging away when I really feel like quitting.
Am I an immature child? Yes. But hey, if that's how I get through this overhyped apprenticeship then I'm gonna use it.

Not feeling real awesome today.
Awesomeness level: Stephen Dorff in Space Truckers.

1 Comments:

At 2:26 PM, Blogger Some Warrior said...

The white-hot fire of spite served as my sole motivation throughout my youth and is entirely responsible for how far i've come today. However, a fuel that hot can't burn forever and i find that the comfortable warmth of apathy doesnt lend itself to overachievement.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home