Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Yay wine!

So last night Lady Head and I went to a wine tasting at Sunset Grille.
The wines were good. The sommelier was kinda pretentious (what do you expect?) but that's good because at the end he starts busting out all of this high end shit after the tasting. I had prolly the best port I've ever had, gratis. I have to find out the name of it. He did convince us to go to this Cancer Society dinner this Friday. Here's something interesting. All of the professors there who make six-figures were hemming and hawing about the price and we (on a postdoc's and grad student's salary) said fuck it, we're going. Then I think all of the professors were embarassed so they're going now too. The Owl had the convincing argument. A. was whining about the cost and he pointed at us and said "They're poor and they're going!"
Well then, Lady Head and I walked across the street to Jackson's to eat and then home for 24 and other TV.
Tonight we have another wine class/tasting to go to. This one's put on by our liquor store.

In the news, something that has been entertaining me lately is Lawrence Summer's comments on women in science and math. He attributed the low numbers to "gender differences." While that's quite ridiculous, since Lady Head is 10x the scientist I am, my favorite part of the story is MIT professor Nancy Hopkins walked out because she was gonna pass out. Fucking hilarious. Here's a dildo saying women can't cut it in the hard sciences and during his talk you "catch the vapors" and have to leave??!?!?!? LMAO! Are you trying to make his point you dumb bitch? Ugh.

Oh, I just saw that the Evil Doctor hijacked my blog. Be sure to read it.

OK. More later.

2 Comments:

At 12:55 PM, Blogger the hun said...

Dude, that was so my reaction to that lady walking out, too. People like that *deserve* to be told that they're inferior. Because they are. I bet she's fat, too.

 
At 12:57 PM, Blogger The Head said...

No, she looks like about what I expected.
http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2004/nas.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home